“Special report: How the U.S. Government Hid Fracking’s Risks to Drinking Water” By Neela Banerjee, Inside Climate News 11/22/17
This in-depth article includes:
– conclusions from scientists contracted by the EPA in 2002 that fracking posed some risk to drinking water
– how their results were ignored by the EPA in 2004
– how Congress’ Energy Policy Act in 2005 then exempted fracking from the Safe Drinking Water Act
– a current case study in Washington County, PA
– a schematic of the hydraulic fracturing process
It is published on the website of StateImpact Pennsylvania, a collaboration between WITF, WHYY, WESA (PBS Stations) and the Allegheny Front. Please read the entire article here.